Thursday, March 25, 2010

My piece of paper

I am taking an online teaching class, which will give me a piece of paper (I think) that I can put on my resume and hopefully begin teaching online classes. The class is called, "Pedagogy First!," which if you do not know what pedagogy means, it means "the art of teaching." The point of the class is to take what we do in the classroom, our so called "art," and create an online environment that does not sacrifice the exact tenants that make up our pedagogy. I teach American history and California history at Mira Costa College.

Part of our assignment this week is to create a blog... Which I am now in the process of doing. I have never thought of creating a blog until the class has essentially forced me to do so. Isn't that why we usually try things anyways though? We have been raised on the notion that we need to "read directions" our whole lives. Then if we follow them correctly, we get a star, or an A, or a reward. So if there are no directions, we sit in a comma toast waiting for the next big show to come on TV to take up our time. Lucky for me, I was directed to create this blog. So even though I am missing "Lost" or "Keeping up with the Kardashians," I have been directed, I am completing, and I will get my piece of paper.

I am going to go further though. I will accomplish my task, but I will also take this opportunity to now blog about my life, my thoughts, my interests and whatever comes to my mind. I am interested in a number of different things that I have an array of opinions on. I also have a crazy life that I could share and get feedback (for example, I also work for a general contractor, bar tend at the Del Mar Race track in the summer, have a ten year old daughter, am getting married and have a baby on the way, which we have named but we are not telling anyone... check back in May). Whatever it may be, I am going to take a chance. No direction, no star, no grade, no piece of paper. Just a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment